This page is for implementing the Forte Data Gloves in a non-vr environment.
1. Install Unity
- Install Unity v2019.3 by downloading the installer from the following website: https://unity3d.com/get-unity/download
- Double click the installer file to start the installation.
2. Download the SDK
Download the Unity Core SDK package.
3. Import the SDK Package into a Unity Project
- Start the Unity application.
- Open any Unity project or create a new project by selecting “New” then selecting the 3D template.
- Import the package into the Unity project by selecting “Assets -> Import Package -> Custom Package… “. Select the desired Forte Data Glove SDK package file at it’s downloaded location, then import all assets.
4. Open the Core scene
Open the scene called Core at the file path: Assets/DataGlove/Simulator/Scenes/Core.unity
You will be prompted with a glove selection menu. If you are connecting wirelessly, select your glove in the dropdown menu and press the connect button.
The calibrate button is located in the bottom corner of the screen. This button will walk you through the setup to calibrate the glove, which is 3 different poses while wearing the glove.
Flat Calibration: All fingers are out straight
Fist Calibration: All fingers are in, except thumb
Thumb Calibration: Thumb curled in, while the other fingers are out
There are also hotkeys for calibrating:
H: home the rotation of glove to face forwards
F: Flat Calibration
K: Fist Calibration
T: Thumb Calibration
6. Using Haptic Commands
The Core scene has a row of haptic buttons along the top of the screen. Click and hold on a button to loop the active sound on the button’s corresponding actuator.
Change the active sound by selecting one of the waveforms in the waveform dropdown menu.
The six actuators are: